15 September, 2012

On Sexual Compatibility - an alternative take

Women Aren't Victims Of The Hookup Culture, Ctd - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast: I specifically want to respond to the comment one of your other readers made: "I ... don't want [my daughters] to marry as virgins and find out they're completely incompatible with their husbands."

Certainly many of your readers see this line and nod in approval. "Yes," they say to themselves, "that is a true danger." I just want to point out that that idea - being "sexually incompatible" - is a complete construct of ... wait for it ... the hookup culture! And, in my opinion, is a large reason marriages and relationships fall apart so often.

Full disclosure: I'm a Mormon. I was brought up in many places around in the country, including Utah, California, and Iowa. I have seen dozens of my Mormon friends marry and have (so far) extremely happy relationships. To the person, we were all virgins when we got married, including all of our spouses. And you know what? Nobody cares! I had never even heard the term "sexual compatibility" until after my marriage, and it made me laugh out loud.

Why?