25 March, 2013

The Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh : Holy Week: Meet The Enemy Who Loves You

The Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh : Holy Week: Meet The Enemy Who Loves You: In her eyes there was that huge grief I had caught sight of when we drove up: a depthless love that said, If I ever lost you, especially to something so stupid, I don't know how I would go on. You are dearer to me than my own life. Somehow, in that weird way of connecting dots that eight-year-olds have, I knew two things: I knew my mother was my sworn enemy, that she was crushingly disappointed in me, would never trust me again and, basically, was ready to kill me were it not for the fact that death would spare me the weeks of being grounded I deserved. But also in that moment, I knew she was my best friend, my shepherd, my defender, the one person I knew who would gladly die for me in a heartbeat. And that's when I began to cry.

Every Holy Week, I think back to that moment, now fifty years ago