14 August, 2016

Walked away with a new understanding of slavery in America by visiting a National monument. : history

Walked away with a new understanding of slavery in America by visiting a National monument. : history: "I am Black, female age 53. My family moved from Alabama in 1963 to California while my mom was pregnant with me. She hoped for better. In elementary school when we would be placed in pairs to complete projects children routinely gave the excuse, "I'm not allowed to play with Black kids" and the teachers would just let that slide. Until 3rd grade with Ms. Houston. She paired me with Rex and he tried that line and she flew into a rage. It was beautiful. She said she wouldn't stand for such bigoted behavior. Days later, when she had calmed down she asked us, "Does anyone know what the word 'prejudice' means"? She called on me and I slowly lowered my hand. Sadly I stared into my lap and said, tearfully, "It means you hate Black people". She laughed and explained. She took me under her wing a little. She helped me to see how smart I was and how enjoyable learning was. She saved my life. I owe that woman the greatest debt. That was in the early '70's in Fullerton, California. She could be as young as 68 now. If anyone thinks they know her, please pass on my thanks. She made me a better, happier person and a better mother.
"



'via Blog this'