11 May, 2017

Chris Rock Cover Story: On His New Tour and Starting Over - Rolling Stone

Chris Rock Cover Story: On His New Tour and Starting Over - Rolling Stone:

There are two kinds of talent in the world: the guy who shows up hungover 10 minutes before the game/gig (think Keith Richards or Yankees legend Mickey Mantle) and coasts by on natural charisma; and the grinders (think Seinfeld or Tom Brady), who hijack their talent to another level solely on their obsessive work ethic. Rock is firmly in the second camp, and owns it. Rock and Louis C.K. have been friends for 20 years, and C.K. told Rock a story about his early days in Boston when he would pester older comedians for advice and beg clubs to put him onstage when he wasn't on the schedule.
"All those comedians kind of hated me," remembers C.K. "They would write mean graffiti about me on comedy-club walls. I told Chris about that and how I was ashamed I was such a pain in everybody's asses. Chris just yelled at me, ‘No, you’re wrong. They're wrong. That’s what it takes.'" Rock even threatened to break off their friendship if C.K. didn't stop writing for other people and write for himself. 


'via Blog this'