24 February, 2018

John Oliver: ‘I’m used to audiences not liking me’ | Television & radio | The Guardian

John Oliver: ‘I’m used to audiences not liking me’ | Television & radio | The Guardian: "“I think one of the problems in America is that it has this gigantic military that a large amount of the population has no connection to. You can functionally be at war, as they’ve been in Afghanistan, for over a decade, and not really have any emotional sense that that is happening, because the disconnect is so big.” All that changed, for Oliver, after talking to his wife and her friends, and watching her have very different reactions to the news. “There was this one time that Donald Rumsfeld was on The Daily Show and Jon [Stewart] was interviewing him. And Jon said something like, ‘Yeah but the Iraq war had nothing to do with 9/11’, and Rumsfeld kind of laughed and said, ‘Yeah, of course, of course.’ And I remember feeling my wife sort of sink into herself. And she said, ‘That’s not what they told us.’ And that’s hard. It’s hard to watch someone glibly dismiss an idea that had been actively sold to the people who were about to go and, if not die, then witness death.”

"



'via Blog this'